Sunday 1 April 2012

Applique Ballerina Canvas Picture!


Inspired by the lovely applique picture (below) by  http://countrykittyland.blogspot.com/, I decided to make one of my own for my two-and-a-half year old niece.


The theme was pink (to match her new bedroom) and ballerinas (to match her latest craze!!).  Nit Wit Collections http://www.nitwitcollections.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=882 had a cute ballerina which I based my picture on!
I have just discovered 'bondaweb' which makes the whole process of applique far easier as it allows you to affix the applique pieces to the fabric before you sew round them!! - I have saved sooooo much time!!!
Above:  Applique pieces bond-a-webbed to the background fabric

Above: The bond-a-webbed fabric made sewing around the figure so much easier!
...I added a piece of chiffon type fabric to give a 3D effect for the ballerina skirt and added rose buds to the skirt and hair!

Below:  The fabric around the ballerina looked abit bare so I edged to corners with ribbons and buttons to complete the picture!

The picture has been mounted on a really cheap canvas and I'm really pleased with it!!

2 comments:

  1. that is so so cute! I really like it and it will be a lovely keepsake for your niece, when she will be older because handmade things are the most precious ones!

    a big hug

    federica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment! :)

      Delete